Our board of trustees is legally responsible for the overall management and decision-making of FPA. The board sets the overall direction of our work and monitors our performance against our strategic plan.
All our trustees are volunteers, giving their time and skills to FPA free of charge. They meet four times a year as a board as well as attending various other FPA committee meetings and events during the year.
We are fortunate to have a broad range of individuals who bring a great mix of skills and experience to FPA.
VACANCIES We're looking for skilled and passionate people to join our board. Find out how to become a trustee.
Dr Val Day, Chair
Val joined the FPA Board of Trustees in 2009 and became Chair in December 2011.
- Val trained in medicine in London, developing a clinical career in obstetrics and gynaecology and sexual healthcare before becoming a public health consultant.
- She has worked in public health at local, regional, national and international level for 25 years.
- Val has been Director of Public Health in North Worcestershire, Director of Service Improvement Programmes in the NHS Modernisation Agency and held various posts at the Department of Health.
- In 2009 she retired from the Department of Health where, as Director of Commissioning and Public Health, she had focused on the capacity and capability to improve population health through effective commissioning of health improvement and healthcare services.
- Val is now an independent public health consultant and has worked on a wide range of assignments for primary care trusts, acute hospital trusts and the Department of Health.
Geoff Bailey, Vice Chair
Geoff joined the FPA Board of Trustees in 2012.
- Geoff attended Brighton College before gaining a degree in Economics from London Metropolitan University.
- In 1982 he joined Beecham Pharmaceuticals, holding positions including Area Manager Gulf States and Country Manager Philippines.
- After the merger of Smith Kline and French and Beecham, Geoff held a number of positions before being appointed Regional Managing Director, responsible for SmithKline Beecham's pharmaceutical and consumer brand operations in Thailand, Vietnam, Myanmar, Cambodia and Laos.
- He returned to London to become Director, Government Affairs & Public Policy SB International.
- Geoff joined Schering Healthcare in 2002 as Business Unit Head (Primary Care) in the UK, with responsibility for the Women's Healthcare business.
- With the takeover of Schering by Bayer AG, Geoff became Head, Global Strategic Marketing for the Women's Healthcare worldwide business. In this role, he was responsible for establishing World Contraception Day.
- Geoff has served on numerous trade association committees and attended several development programmes, most notably the Advanced Management Programme at INSEAD.
Kay joined the FPA Board of Trustees in 2012.
- Kay is a PhD student at the University of Hull. Her research explores the educational experiences of pregnant girls and young mothers.
- She is due to finish her PhD in October 2013.
- Kay also works for an NHS chlamydia screening programme.
- Kay has previously volunteered with sexual health charities. She has assisted with the delivery of sex and relationships education and helped to run outreach programmes and drop-in centres for young people.
- She also has extensive experience working with young people with special educational needs and is currently a Disability Mentor at the University of Hull.
David joined the board of trustees in 2012.
- David is a business consultant to a range of creative companies.
- He studied for an MBA at the University of Keele.
- He is also qualified as a Company Secretary and was elected a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Secretaries in January 2002.
- He was Chief Executive of legal practice Bindman & Partners from 1997 to 2004 and has also been Chief Executive of GPs' charity, the Cameron Fund.
- David was Chair of Governors of Cathedral School, London from 2002 to 2011.
- He's a member of the Business and Marketing Committee of the London Borough of Lambeth Business Improvement District – Waterloo Quarter.
Nicole joined the board of trustees in 2012.
- Nicole is a dual qualified barrister practising at the bar in Jersey and England.
- She is currently a tenant at XXIV Old Buildings in Lincoln’s Inn. Prior to this, she was a partner in the Litigation Department of a leading offshore law firm.
- Nicole specialises in contentious trust and commercial contractual disputes.
- For the last three years she has lectured in contract law at the Jersey Institute of Law.
- She has recently been appointed as a trustee of the Institute of Law’s Endowment Trust.
David joined the FPA Board of Trustees in 2011.
- David initially joined FPA as a member of the Youth Advisory Committee.
- He is a junior doctor working for the NHS in Brighton.
- He holds a Masters degree in Medical Anthropology during which he conducted extensive research about Comprehensive Sexuality Education (CSE) in Uganda.
- David has volunteered extensively with the medical student organisation, Sexpression, and was National Coordinator in 2011.
- David founded a peer-led SRE programme in Rwanda in 2011 which will soon reach every secondary school in the country.
- David works with the International Planned Parenthood Federation (IPPF), particularly aiding their efforts at the United Nations.
- He has also written policies for the Global Youth Coalition for HIV/AIDS (GYCA) and the International Federation of Medical Students Associations (IFMSA).
Sophie joined the FPA Board of Trustees in 2010.
- Sophie is currently in her fifth year at Birmingham Medical School.
- She is in her fourth year of medical study, having taken a year out to do a biomedical sciences intercalation in Healthcare Ethics and Law, conducting a research project focusing on female sexual autonomy.
- She was president of the student medical society (MedSoc) from 2011-12 and chaired the National MedSoc Committee Conference organising committee in 2011.
- After volunteering at FPA in 2010 Sophie decided to apply to be a trustee as a representative of younger people.
- She has also volunteered and worked for the UK charities Jeans for Genes, the Music Therapy Charity and the Lauren Page Trust, organising project work, designing websites and fundraising.
Victoria joined the FPA Board of Trustees in 2007.
- Victoria has an MA in International Relations from the University of Essex, a BA in History from University College London and an LLB from the College of Law.
- She spent three and a half years as a political researcher for John Bercow MP, until September 2007.
- Victoria is Deputy Chair of the Tory Reform Group, a Director of the Burma Campaign UK and Treasurer of the Burma Justice Committee.
- She was Campaign Manager for a target seat in the 2010 General Election.
- She has published works with the Foreign Policy Centre, House Magazine and regularly edits Reformer, the Tory Reform Group journal.
- Victoria is a barrister and member of Inner Temple. She is currently a legal adviser to a large multinational PLC.