Our board of trustees is legally responsible for the overall management and decision-making of FPA. The board sets the overall direction of our work and monitors our performance against our strategic plan.
All our trustees are volunteers, giving their time and skills to FPA free of charge. They meet four times a year as a board as well as attending various other FPA committee meetings and events during the year.
We are fortunate to have a broad range of individuals who bring a great mix of skills and experience to FPA.
Dr Val Day, Chair
Val joined the FPA Board of Trustees in 2009 and became Chair in 2011.
- Val trained in medicine in London, developing a clinical career in obstetrics and gynaecology and sexual healthcare before becoming a public health consultant.
- She has worked in public health at local, regional, national and international level for 25 years.
- Val has been Director of Public Health in North Worcestershire, Director of Service Improvement Programmes in the NHS Modernisation Agency and held various posts at the Department of Health.
- In 2009 she retired from the Department of Health where, as Director of Commissioning and Public Health, she had focused on the capacity and capability to improve population health through effective commissioning of health improvement and healthcare services.
- Val is now an independent public health consultant and has worked on a wide range of assignments for primary care trusts, acute hospital trusts and the Department of Health.
Nicole Langlois, Vice Chair
Nicole joined the board of trustees in 2012 and became Vice Chair in 2014.
- Nicole is a dual qualified barrister practising at the bar in Jersey and England.
- She is currently a tenant at XXIV Old Buildings in Lincoln’s Inn. Prior to this, she was a partner in the Litigation Department of a leading offshore law firm.
- Nicole specialises in contentious trust and commercial contractual disputes.
- For the last three years she has lectured in contract law at the Jersey Institute of Law.
- She has recently been appointed as a trustee of the Institute of Law’s Endowment Trust.
Kay joined the FPA Board of Trustees in 2012.
- Kay is a PhD student at the University of Hull. Her research explores the educational experiences of pregnant girls and young mothers.
- She is due to finish her PhD in October 2013.
- Kay also works for an NHS chlamydia screening programme.
- Kay has previously volunteered with sexual health charities. She has assisted with the delivery of sex and relationships education and helped to run outreach programmes and drop-in centres for young people.
- She also has extensive experience working with young people with special educational needs and is currently a Disability Mentor at the University of Hull.
Marta joined the board of trustees in 2014.
- Marta works for Social Finance UK, where she leads their work in Latin America, aiming to develop innovative financing models to support social impact creation and innovation.
- She brings a hybrid set of skills to FPA, with extensive private sector experience in strategy consulting (Boston Consulting Group) and commercial banking (Capital One Bank), and deep expertise supporting the growth, sustainability and impact-creation capabilities of non-profit organisations such as UnLtd, The Bridgespan Group, Leaders’ Quest Foundation and Population Services International.
- Marta is a Spanish national, though her career spans several countries and cultures, and is motivated by achieving tangible and life-changing impact for beneficiaries.
- Marta holds an honours degree in Economics and Business Administration from the Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (Spain), and an MBA from Stanford University. She is also a qualified coach.
- Marta is also an adviser to Aleron Third Sector, a non-profit strategy consultancy focused on helping individuals, organisations, and governments create positive change in society.
David joined the board of trustees in 2012.
- David is a business consultant to a range of creative companies.
- He studied for an MBA at the University of Keele.
- He is also qualified as a Company Secretary and was elected a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Secretaries in January 2002.
- He was Chief Executive of legal practice Bindman & Partners from 1997 to 2004 and has also been Chief Executive of GPs' charity, the Cameron Fund.
- David was Chair of Governors of Cathedral School, London from 2002 to 2011.
- He's a member of the Business and Marketing Committee of the London Borough of Lambeth Business Improvement District – Waterloo Quarter.
David joined the FPA Board of Trustees in 2011.
- David initially joined FPA as a member of the Youth Advisory Committee.
- He is a junior doctor working for the NHS in Brighton.
- He holds a Masters degree in Medical Anthropology during which he conducted extensive research about Comprehensive Sexuality Education (CSE) in Uganda.
- David has volunteered extensively with the medical student organisation, Sexpression, and was National Coordinator in 2011.
- David founded a peer-led SRE programme in Rwanda in 2011 which will soon reach every secondary school in the country.
- David works with the International Planned Parenthood Federation (IPPF), particularly aiding their efforts at the United Nations.
- He has also written policies for the Global Youth Coalition for HIV/AIDS (GYCA) and the International Federation of Medical Students Associations (IFMSA).
Gary joined the board of trustees in 2014.
- Gary is Managing Partner of Gondwana LLP, advising a range of social enterprises, charities, foundations and philanthropists in Africa, Asia and Latin America.
- He has extensive experience in sexual health, family planning and non-profit commercial business models and was previously Chief Operating Officer/Chief Financial Officer of WomanCare Global, a leading non-profit supplier and distributor of contraceptives and reproductive health products to non-governmental organisations, the voluntary, public and non-profit sectors in over 100 countries around the world.
- Gary has over 25 years senior management experience in finance, charities and healthcare, having earlier worked for both Morgan Stanley and JP Morgan in both investment management and venture capital.
- He holds an honours degree in Economics and Politics from London University’s School of Oriental and African Studies, an MBA from Cranfield School of Management and has also studied at both Harvard Business School and the Harvard Kennedy School of Government.
- Gary is also a board member of HSF and a Trustee of The John and Anne Newton Foundation.
Sophie joined the FPA Board of Trustees in 2010.
- Sophie is currently in her fifth year at Birmingham Medical School.
- She is in her fourth year of medical study, having taken a year out to do a biomedical sciences intercalation in Healthcare Ethics and Law, conducting a research project focusing on female sexual autonomy.
- She was president of the student medical society (MedSoc) from 2011-12 and chaired the National MedSoc Committee Conference organising committee in 2011.
- After volunteering at FPA in 2010 Sophie decided to apply to be a trustee as a representative of younger people.
- She has also volunteered and worked for the UK charities Jeans for Genes, the Music Therapy Charity and the Lauren Page Trust, organising project work, designing websites and fundraising.