The Speakeasy course for parents and carers has been delivered to over 15,000 parents since 2002.
It is a structured programme of accredited learning that helps parents and carers gain the knowledge and confidence they need to talk with their children about sex, relationships and growing up in an age-appropriate way.
The course is Open College Network (OCN) accredited.
Speakeasy facilitator training is designed to equip front-line parent support staff to deliver the Speakeasy course for parents and carers. It is particularly suited to staff who have little or no previous experience of delivering group work around sexual health. Training is relaxed and activity-based.
The Speakeasy Facilitator’s Handbook supports the training and provides an in-depth resource including session plans, parent worksheets, handouts and suggestions for developing the work further. The training complies with the National Occupational Standards for work with parents.
To equip participants to deliver and assess the accredited FPA Speakeasy course for parents and carers.
- Become familiar with the key concepts of sexual health and development – especially as these relate to puberty changes.
- Understand the role of parents in the delivery of sex and relationships education with particular attention to the inherent opportunities, challenges and the diversity of culture and values.
- Understand the principles, practice and delivery methods of the FPA Speakeasy programme.
- Understand portfolio based learning and the requirements of Open College Network (OCN).
- Plan, deliver and assess a Speakeasy parents group with accredited learning.
- Understand and practice methods of assessment that comply with the requirements of OCN.
Training requirements and time commitments
- Participants must attend all three days. Day three is usually held 4–6 months after day two.
- Over the three days participants are expected to complete a series of assessments and homework tasks which count towards accreditation at level three.
- Each participant is expected to set up and run an eight-week parent course in between day two and day three and at least one parent on that course must be willing to gain accreditation at either level one or level two.
- Participants need to set aside time to prepare for each two-hour session which will include lesson planning, photocopying worksheets and handouts, and preparation of any additional resources.
- The OCN award is nine credits at level three. Participants are expected to spend up to 90 hours on training days, parent course delivery and home assessments.
Other Speakeasy training options
In addition to the full, accredited facilitator training we offer a range of other training options for staff.
For information about training opportunities and costs in your area, please contact:
Tel: 020 7608 5277